Rishi Dhamala, the controversial journalist has invited the Nepali supearstar Rajesh Hamal in his program to discuss about his filmy career and the possibility of his entry into politics.
Watch the intersting program ‘Dhamalako Hamala’
Artists in Politics
Almost all the artists have entered in politics. The political parties have also actively pursued the artists as they have a huge fan base. The actress Rekha Thapa, singer Komal Oli etc. have entered Rastriya Prajatantra Party.
Actress Karishma Manandhar, Saroj Khanal etc. have entered Naya Shakti Nepal party. Similarly, actor Bhuwan KC is active as a politician in CPN UML party. A lot of other artists have entered CPN Maoist and its factions. A well known journalist Rabindra Mishra had also entered the politics by starting a new political party, Sajha Party.
The shooting of the movie produced jointly by Chhabi Raj Ojha and Shilpa Pokharel ‘Mangalam’ has finished. The shooting was packed up two days earlier than previously scheduled. According to the report, the movie was scheduled to complete in 35 days but it was finished in 33rd days.
The movie ‘Mangalam’ features the romance of Shilpa Pokharel and Prithivi Raj Prasai. Actress Samragyee RL Shah is also featured in as an actress in the movie. The debut movie of the actress Shilpa Pokharel, as a producer, is scheduled to release on Dashain of this year.
Marriage rumour between Chhabi and Shilpa
During the release of Shilpa Pokharel’s debut movie, Chhabi intentionally created a rumour about their marriage. In a program by Prakash Subedi, Chhabi and Shilpa admitted that they were going to marry soon. Later, in an interview, Shilpa told, “That was a very good strategy. Many viewers went to see the movie to see Chhabi’s girlfriend.”
Miss Nepal beauty contest started in 1994. 20 editions of the contest have been organized to date. Out of the 21 Miss Nepal so far, only 7 Miss Nepal are yet to get married. All the Miss Nepal crowned before Miss Nepal 2010 Sadichha Shrestha have been married. Before I present the list of the husbands of the Miss Nepal, I would like to share a video, I have prepared, listing all the unmarried Miss Nepal from the year 2010 to 2016 and the video clips of their crowning moments:
Here is the full list of the winners of Miss Nepal beauty contests so far:
Married Miss Nepal and their husbands
- Miss Nepal 1994 – Ruby Rana (husband – Prajaya Bikram Shah)
- Miss Nepal 1995 – Sumi Khadka (husband – Chiran Basnyat)
- Miss Nepal 1996 – Poonam Ghimire (husband – Atulya Risal)
- Miss Nepal 1997 – Neelima Gurung (husband photo attached)
- Miss Nepal 1997 – Jharana Bajracharya (husband – Rahul Agarwal)
- Miss Nepal 1998 – Jyoti Pradhan (Dethroned) Niru Shrestha (husband – Prashant Gurung)
- Miss Nepal 1999 – Shewta Singh (husband – Bikash Singh)
- Miss Nepal 2000 – Usha Khadgi (Husband – GP Timilsina)
- Miss Nepal 2002 – Malvika Subba (Husband – Riyaj Shrestha)
- Miss Nepal 2003 – Priti Sitoula (husband – Bijoy Rajbanshi)
- Miss Nepal 2004 – Payal Shakya (husband – Sarun Tamrakar)
- Miss Nepal 2005 – Sugarika KC (husband – Sanat Neupane)
- Miss Nepal 2007 – Sitashma Chand (husband – Ben Price)
- Miss Nepal 2009 – Zenisha Moktan (husband – Dikesh Moktan)
Unmarried Miss Nepal
(As of March 2017)
The Number 1 actress is no longer the top actress in the Nepali film industry – according to a survey among 10 well known Nepali directors. In fact, Shilpa has gone a rank higher than Rekha Thapa. It seems, she is on her path to be the top actress.
Watch the top 10 actresses:
Personally, I think other actresses deserve the top position rather than actress Keki Adhikari. It could be either Namrata Shrestha or Priyanka Karki. Namrata has won all the film awards this year. She has a very good track record of successful movies. Priyanka Karki is also a good actress and one of the busiest actress in the film industry.
Keki is a good actress but, she hasn’t been careful in her choice of movies. Although she has done a very good job, none of her movies have been that successful.
This list of top 10 actresses was chosen from the views of the following directors by ‘Today’, a weekly of Annapurna Post:
Malvika Subba is a multi-talented personality. She has a multifaceted identity – here are some:
- Miss Nepal 2002 Malvika Subba
- Video jockey Malvika Subba
- Actress Malvika Subba (Acted in two movies, but neither were released)
- Motivational speaker and trainer
- Model Malvika Subba
- Emcee Malvika Subba (one of the most liked)
- Businessperson, sales and marketing personality
- Film and TV Program Producer Malvika Subba
- Chief Editor of a monthly magazines – Wave and Navyata
- Youth leader, social worker Malvika Subba
I will update this post with a video (it is still in making) in a few days.
Malvika Subba Biography
Born on July 19, 1981, Malvika Subba was the third child of her parents. After two boys, her mother gave birth to Malvika in her 40s on the pressure of her father for a daughter. Malvika’s father a Subba was a police officer and her mother Sashikala was a Brahmin. In their time, intercaste marriage was a tabbo. That was the reason, Sashikala’s parents cut-off their ties with the daughter after she married Malvika’s father.
Priyanka Karki, the busiest actress and one of the most attractive women in Nepal (according to a Saphahik poll), has turned 30 on February 27, 2017.
The video also includes the birthday wishes of actress Keki Adhikari to Priyanka Kakri. Keki Adhikari is currently busy in the shooting of her upcoming movie ‘Razza Rani’. The Razza of the movie, Najir Hussien is also seen with Keki wishing best wishes to Priyanka Karki.
The actress born on Saturday, February 27, 1987 (Fagun 15, 2044 BS) had become Miss Teen in 2005. After that she started her career in media and entertainment industry. Although she had also worked as a child actress in a director Narayan Puri movie ‘Mahadevi’, Priyanaka got the lime light only after she started working in TV and entertainment industry.
The festival of Shiva Ratri is synonyms with Bhang, dhaturo and Ganja (Marijuana or Cannabis). Although the use of ganja is prohibited in other times, it is usually free during the time of shiva ratri. In the festival, youths and older people go to Pashupati area to smoke ganja.
Shiva Ratri for different age group
- Children and youths – they ask for alm on road by blocking the road and asking for money. The collected money is usually used to purchase wood for the fire used in the night.
- Married women fast and worship lord Shiva for the longevity of their husbands.
- Unmarried women also fast and worship Shiva and ask for the husband like him.
- Older males – worship shiva and enjoy the festival by drinking juices and laddu containing bhang and smoking ganja.
Fasting for their husband and future husband is a tradition in declining trend. I believe, that is the remains of the male dominated society. Continue reading
Actress Manisha Koirala has told that she is going to be a mother. She got married in 2010 to Samrat Dahal, but the marriage didn’t last long. They were separated in less than a year. The formal divorce was done in 2012. After that, she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She was treated in the USA and became cancer free. It is going to be 5 years of her being cancer free soon.
Mother in Real Life
How can a single woman, that too with problem with her reproductive organs can be a mother ? Yes there is a way – the Bollywood actress of Nepali origin, actress Manisha Koirala has told that she is going to adopt a child this year. She is planning to adopt a girl child and be a responsible mother.
The details about if the girl to be adopted is identified or not is not released. She just told that on the fifth anniversary of of winning cancer, she is going to adopt a child.
Mother is Reel Life
That was being a mother in real life. Manisha has also signed in a movie to be featured as a mother on-screen. She is going to be featured as the mother of Sanjay Dutt, Nargis in the biopic movie of Sanjay Dutt. In the movie, Ranvir Kapoor will be featured as Sanjay Dutt – the son of Manisha’s character.
These days it is quite common – successful Nepali people readily leave Nepal to live in foreign countries. When asked, they tell that, there is better opportunities in other countries. They tell that they ‘represent Nepal’ in whatever they do (like Teriya Magar). They claim that they are a Nepali ‘in heart’ and artistes have no borders (Udit Narayan). Is that true?
It is not only celebrities that are leaving Nepal, virtually everybody, capable of working or studying, is leaving in the name of work or education respectively. The effect is evident – I have heard about multiple instances in Nepal – about offices not receiving enought applications to fill vacancies in some specialized jobs. One of my friends had complained about how difficult it is to find a specialized employee. He added, “If found one, retaining that guy for long is a nightmare.”
I have a few unanswered questions:
- Is brain drain good or bad ?
If it is good – it should be promoted. If bad, government should be doing something about that
- It it easy for the celebrities in foreign country?
I think, it is always easier for them to live in their own countries. Something bigger is forcing them to take the risk and challenge. Many well known celebrities at home seem to be happy with odd jobs in foreign countries.
- Who is causing this?
I think somebody/some system is pushing unwilling talents out of Nepal. Who is that? Why is that?
I have compiled the list of Nepali talents who have left Nepal:
The shooting of the upcoming movie of director Hemraj BC, ‘Gangster Blues’ has strted in Nepalgunj. The movie featuring Anna Sharma and Asjirman Desraj Shrestha Joshi in leading role is being produced by Saroj Neupane. Other artists in the movie include Samyam Puri, Rojisha Shahi, Pramod Agrahari and others. The shooting will run for 50 days.
The movie will be shot in Nepalgunj, Rara lake of Mugu, Khaptad. The movie is expected to release in Bhadra of next year.
Anna Sharma – The ‘Jerry’ debut actress Anna Sharma’s real name is Annapurna Sharma and she is one of the three daughters of Miss Nepal choreographer Rachana Gurung. Anna’s acting in her debut movie was appreciated by everybody. But instead of signing in other movies, Anna focused in studies and remained away from the film industry for a couple of years.
The director of ‘Gangster Blues’ was also the director of her previous movie. Hemraj BC’s movies ‘Hostel’, ‘Jerry’ and ‘Gajalu’ were all hit movies.
They are available to watch in xnepali:
– Nepali Movie – Gajalu (Anmol KC, Shristi Shrestha)
– Nepali Movie – Jerryy
– Nepali movie – Hostel
I prepared a video about Nikhil Upreti wising Valentine Day wishes to one of his two wives and ignoring another. I was surprised by the way he treaded one to another when the photos of the status of Nikhil Upreti and Kopila Upreti were published in Nepal Samacharpatra – a National Daily.
I don’t use Facebook much these days. I only visit it when I need to investigate something. I did proper check on Nikhil’s account. It looked genuine for the following reasons:
- Nepal Samacharpatra had published a photo from the account. (I assumed they were responsible media.)
- In an interview Nikhil had admitted that he didn’t have a Facebook account and he was planning to open a new account. And, that was a new account. Less than a month old.
- I checked the list of the friends in the account. Most of them were well known personalities in the film industry. I expected they won’t be-friend a fake account.
- Based on her past posts and interactions, it was clear that Kopila Upreti’s account was not a fake account. Nikhil’s account had mentioned Kopila in many of the posts. So, I assumed it wasn’t a fake account.
Fake Account of Nikhil Upreti?
Nepali actress of ‘The Most Wanted’ and ‘Just For You’, Teluja Khatiwada has married Suman Raj Basnet of Birtamod, Jhapa. The marriage ceremony was organized in Kathmandu on February 18, 2017 at Kundalini Durbar banquet. Film artists, journalists and family members were invited in the cremony.
Who is Tejula Khatiwada?
The bride, Tejula Khatiwada was an actress of the Nepali film industry. She debuted in ‘The most Wanted’ but wasn’t much successful as an actress. I wrote about Tejula Khatiwada in 2009. She had told that she wanted to be a bold actress then. (read the post) Apart from movies, she had also worked in video films, and music videos. Here are some of her movies:
Watch ‘The Most Wanted’ here.
Watch ‘Jawaf’ here.
The ‘Pipal’ debut actresses Sushma Adhikari has stopped acting in movies after the failure if her second movie ‘Anautho Premkatha’. ‘Pipal’ was released in May of 2014 and ‘Anautho Premkatha’ was released after a couple of months.
Watch ‘Anautho Premkatha’ here.
The failure of both the movies proved that Sushma Adhikari wasn’t lucky as an actress. She also worked in a couple of Bhojpuri movies. The fate repeated in the Bhojpuri film industry too. Sushma Adhikari opened up in Bhojpuri movies – Deewana 2 and Jaya Madhesh. But, that didn’t help her.
Although she couldn’t leave an impression in movies, Sushma Adhikari has been successful as a model in music videos. She has been featured in hundreds of music videos. She is equally popular in lok geet music videos and pop song music videos. These days, Sushma is featured in a lot of music videos and she is also quite active in social media.
A new movie ‘Rajja Rani’ was announced at the time of Valentine Day week. In the event organized to announce the new movie, Keki Adhikari and Nazir Hussien shared rose and heart shaped ballon. In the movie, Keki and Nazir are going to be featured as the youths of Terai region. Watch the video report:
The announcement ceremony was held in Kathmandu on February 12, 2017. With Keki and Nazir Kameshowr Chaurasiya and Laxmi Bardewa will also be featured in main role in the movie.
Nepali actor Rajesh Hamal is one of the top actors in the Nepali film industry. Often called Maha Nayak (Super Actor), Rajesh Hamal ruled the film industry for about a quarter century. He prefers to tell that the film industry grew with him. Hamal is credited for :
- Bringing professionalism in Nepali film industry.
- Being the first educated actor in the film industry. He had done Masters in English literature from Punjab University in India.
- He is considered a no-nonsense actor. Unlike other actors, Hamal kept himself from having affairs with the actresses. Although there were rumours of his affair, all rumours turned fake. Actresses had termed him as the coldest actor in the film industry.
- Rajesh is a good orator and can easily impress the listener by his oratory skills. Proficiency in his English language is also something not seen in the Nepali film industry.
- The height, looks and the physique have also been factors that attracted youngsters of his time.
Rajesh Hamal Love Story