The government has ignored the internationally acclaimed CNN Hero 2010 winner and social worker, Anuradha Koirala, during her arrival in Kathmandu after receiving the award. It was not only the government, none of the political parties thought of sending a representative to congratulate and welcome the Hero.
The CNN Hero of the Year 2010, hosted every year by the American television network, CNN, was declared today, Novemeber 20, 2010. The winner of this year’s title is Nepali social worker and founder of Maiti Nepal, Anuradha Koirala. Anuradha and the team was instrumented in rescuing more than 12,000 women and girls being sold as sex slaves.
The final Hero in the contest was chosen by public poll conducted at CNN.com.
Each of the top 10 CNN Heroes will receive $25,000 to continue their humble effort. Anuradha, the Hero, will receive an additional $100,000 to spend in her effort in Maiti Nepal.
Here are the 2010 top 10 CNN Heroes in alphabeti
cal order are:
- Guadalupe Arizpe De La Vega – 74-year-old – founder of a hospital in Juarez, Mexico
- Susan Burton, USA, through her nonprofit provides sober housing and other support to formerly incarcerated women.
- Linda Fondren, USA, with her fitness and nutritation classes has helped people loose weight.
- Anuradha Koirala, Nepal, helped reduce girls trafficking and sexual exploitation in Nepal ince 1993.
- Narayanan Krishnan, India, served meals ot homeless and destitute Indians.
- Magnus MacFarlane-Barrow – provides free daily meals to more than 400,000 children around the world.
- Harmon Parker – since 1997 has helped build 45 footbridges over rivers in Kenya and protect people from flash floods and predatory animals.
- Aki Ra, Cambodia, helps local by clearing land mines – and helped clear about 50,000 mines and unexploded weapons.
- Evans Wadongo, 23, Kenya, distributed 10,000 solar lanterns to re
place smoky kerosene and firelight.
- Dan Wallrath, USA, has provided mortgate-free homes to the soldiers injured in Iraq and Afghanistan.
We knew it! And, I feel proud to be one of the voters to make it happen! Congratulation to Anuradha Koirala and all the well-wishers and voters who helped her to make it.
American television network, CNN has announced its CNN Hero of the Year 2010, and the winner is our own Anuradha Koirala. Loved by everybody, including 12,000 women and girls rescued from being sold as sex slaves, Anuradha was named the hero today.
She was chosen by a public poll, that ran for 8 weeks in CNN.com. As the CNN Hero, Anuradha will receive $100,000 to continue her work in Maiti Nepal. (Photo credits CNN)
I voted for Anuradha Koirala, the lady at Maiti Nepal for the CNN Heros of 2010.
Did you ?
Anuradha and her group, Maiti Nepal, have helped more than 12,000 victims of Nepal’s sex trafficking business.
Let’s support her tireless work to combat human trafficking in Nepal with a single click in the site.
All our posts on Manisha Koirala!