Panche Baja (literally – five musical instruments) is a group of five traditional musical instruments played in Nepal during certain auspicious occasions like marriages. A small band of five people (traditionally, called Damahi) can form the musical band to perform in such occasions. The five instruments are:
- Dholaki (Two sided drum, similar to Madal)
- Tyamko (small kettle drum)
- Damaha or Nagara (kettle drum)
- Sahanai (a short pipe instrument) and
- Jhurma or jhyali (cymbals)
Panche Baja – the five musical instruments – Dholki (Top left), Tyamko (Top right), Damaha (Bottom left), Sahanai (Bottom center), Jhyali (Bottom right)
All our posts on Manisha Koirala!