UPDATE: Sagar Regmi, the son of Kanchan Sharma Regmi told that the mother had left them not the other way around.
An interview was telecasted on Kantipur TV a few days ago. The guest to ‘Suman Sanga’ a program run by Suman Kharel, a noted BBC Nepali Sewa journalist, was an unknown woman Kanchan Sharma Regmi. Because of the extremely sad story of her life, Kanchan became an overnight celebrity. She told that she was kicked out by her husband and two grown up sons to the street. She told that she lived in the street for 7 years until a social worker found her and gave a shelter.
The story was painful to many. Actress Karishma Manandhar was so troubled by the story that she woke up at the night and shared her thoughts in Facebook (attached).
Who is right Kanchan or her husband?
Kanchan painted a very gruesome picture of her life raising concerns and sympathy towards her condition. But, a while after the interview, her husband also told his side of the story. He fully blamed Kanchan for her deeds and told that they were already divorced. He also accused Kanchan of being a drunkard and a chain smoker and was a bad influence to her sons.
Right after the sayings of the husband, Mohan Regmi, a government engineer by profession, told his side of story, the flood of sympathy changed course and directed towards Mohan.
Some suspected, the whole story was directed by the social worker Dikshya Chapagain who had convinced Suman Regmi for the interview. Dikshya told lies in one of the interviews about how he found Kanchan. When the truth about another social worker who had asked Dikshya to take Kanchan in her custody told the truth, Dikshya modified her story. But, that is a different aspect not related to the unjust Kanchan (or Mohan) went through. Another journalist has written a detailed account of her meeting Kanchan when she was raising her little boys.
I think, both Kanchan and Mohan both have lied on some of the aspects of their stories. Whatever might be a true story – a few facts that are striking and undeniable:
- The married life of Kanchan and Mohan Regmi was not good.
- Kanchan is an educated person and was also a trained nurse (although, her husband claim she didn’t pass a test, he admitted she completed her course.)
- Kanchan should have had a mental problem and drinking problem or vice versa.
- Mohan Regmi, an engineer, was resourceful person. But, he apparently didn’t try to treat her. Instead of taking her to a rehab facility or mental hospital, he instead was trying to get a divorce.
- A decade ago, their sons might have been too little to understand or solve the problem.
Can a mentally challenged person be held accountable for her deeds?
My videos about Kanchan Sharma Regmi:
How Kanchan was found:
Kanchan Sharma lying about a poem she didn’t write:
The controversy who found Kanchan – Dikshya or Chanda Thapa?