I have compiled a list of new Nepali movies you shouldn’t miss. The quality of Nepali movies have improved in the modern days. Experimental movies have been very successful these days. All the movies listed here are the movies made after 2010.
Update – Paradeshi
A 2015 release, superhit movie of Prashant Tamang. The movie ‘Paradeshi’ was directed by Narayan Rayamajhi, the director of another hit movie ‘Gorkha Paltan’.
1. Classic (2016)
The 2016 release movie by Aryan Sigdel, ‘Classic’ is one of the top movies of the year 2016. The movie about a blind couple features Aryan Sigdel and Namrata Shrestha in leading role. Namrata Shresthat had had won all the Best Actress awards of the year for her role in the movie. Aryan Sigdel had also won Best Actor awards for his role in the movie. The movie was also awarded the Best Movie of the year award in various film awards. This is a must watch movie.
Watch ‘Classic’ – (Skip the initial 4 minutes to watch the movie.)
Nepali Movie – Classic
Starring – Aryan Sigdel, Namrata Shrestha, Romi Wani Ghimire, Prajwal Sujal Giri, Sushil Kafle, Shisir Rana etc.
Director – Dinesh Raut
The superhit movie by Aaryan Sigdel Entertainment and presented by Subash Entertainment was one of the most successful movies of 2016. Actress Namrata Shrestha had won every film awards this year for her role in the movie. Aryan Sigdel had also won many best actor award and the movie was awarded best movie more than once. The movie written by Chhetan Gurung is produced by Subas Giri and featuers the DOP of Rajesh Shrestha. The editors of the movie are Surendra Poudel and Pritam Pandey. The associate director is Bikash Subedi, chief assistant director is Dinesh Bahadur Rawat. The movie made on the romance of a visually impaired couple is also the most awarded Nepali movie of 2016.
Watch ‘Classic’ full movie (the movie starts after 4 minutes)
The 9th edition of NEFTA Awards was held at Dubai, UAE on December 23, 2016. A lot of Nepali artists attended the grand ceremony featuring performances of a lot of artists including Rajesh Hamal and Karishma Manandhar.
The dancers in the program were Karishma Mamandhar, Pooja Sharma, Chhulthim Gurung, Malina Joshi, Rista Basnet, Samragyee RL Shah, Namrata Sapkota, Jebina Karki. The male dancers were Rajesh Hamal, Anupbikram Shahi, Paul Shah, Najir Hussain, Salon Basnet, and Roshit Rumba.
The award winner movies are:
- Watch ‘Pashupati Prasad’ here – Best Movie, Best Dilogue (Khagendra Lamichhane), Best Supporting Actor (Prakash Ghimire), Best Actor in Negative Role (Bipin Karki)
- Watch ‘Dreams’ here – Popular Film, Best Newcomer Actress (Samragyee RL Shah) , Popular Actor (Anmol KC)
- Watch ‘Woda Number 6’ here – Best Director (Ujjwal Ghimire), Best Arranger (Rajan Ishan), Best Art Director (Pasang T Sherpa)
- Watch ‘Kabaddi Kabaddi’ here- Best Actor (Dayahang Rai), Best Story (Rambabu Gurung / Upendra Subba)
- Watch ‘Nai Nabhannu La 4’ here – Best Cinematographer (Purushottam Pradhan), Best Lyrics (Dr. Krishna Hari Baral), Best Newcomer Actor (Paul Shah)
- Watch ‘Fanko’ here – Best Script (Subarna Thapa), Best Editing (Bipin Malla), Best Background Music (Sujil Karmacharya)
- Watch ‘Prem Geet’ – Popular Actress (Pooja Sharma), Best Music (Arjun Pokharel), Best Choreographer (Renasha Bantawa Rai), Best Singer Male (Sugam Pokharel), Best Singer Female (Anju Panta), Best Dress design (Yubi Thapa and Yogita Pun)
- Watch ‘Dhauli’ here – Sound Mixing (Uttam Neupane)
- Watch ‘Bhairav’ here – Best Action (Himal KC)
- Classic (not available now) – Best Actress (Namrata Shrestha)
- Janmabhumi – Best Supporting Actress (Nishma Ghimire)
- Adhakatti – Best Comedy Actor (Wilson Bikram Rai)
- Timi Nabhaya – Best Ethnic Film
- Ko Afno – Best Make up (Dipu Poudel)
In the film awards held in this year either Dayahang Rai had won the best actor award or Aryan Sigdel. For the first time, Kamana Film Award 2016 has awarded Saugat Malla the award for his role in ‘Fanko’.
The award ceremony held at the Army Officers’ Club in Kathmandu on December 3, 2016 awarded different awards to ten movies. Out of them, seven movies are available to watch in full in xnepali. Click on the following links to watch the movies:
Watch award winning movies:
- Watch ‘Fanko’ (Best Actor Award)
- Watch ‘Kabaddi Kabaddi’ (Best Dialogue)
- Watch ‘Pashupati Prasad’ (Best film award, Best Screenplay, Best Director, Best Actor in Negative Role)
- Watch ‘Prem Geet’ (Best Make Up, Best Playback Singer – Anju Pant, Best Playback singer – Sugam Pokharel, Best Lyrics, Best Music, Best Supporting Actor)
- Watch ‘Nai Nabhannu La 4’ (Best new Actor – Paul Shah)
- Watch ‘Dreams’ (Best Cinematography, Best New Actress – Samragyee, Best New Director – Bhuwan)
- Watch ‘Bhairav’ (Best Action)
Three award winning movies not available in xnepali yet are:
The nominations of the fourth edition of INAS Film Award, to be held in Gangtok, Sikkim on Kartik 24, were released on November 4, 2016. There are three nominations on each of 19 different categories. The award is being organized by the International Nepali Artist Association (INAS). In the award movies released in 2015 and released till April 15 of 2016 were included. ‘Classic’ has led the list with nominations in 9 categories, ‘Kabaddi Kabaddi’ follows with 6 categories and ‘Pashupati Prasad’ in 5 categories. These three movies are also the top three movies in the nomination.
Watch the nominated movies:
Best Movie Award, Best Director Award and Best Actor Awards nomination to the following three movies:
- Pashupati Prasad
- Calssic (‘Classic’ will be available online soon)
- Kabaddi Kabaddi
The top 5 nominations for the 9th edition of NEFTA Awards has been released. In NEFTA Award 2016 the movies ‘Classic’ and ‘Prem Geet’ have received the most number of nominations in the 31 categories announced by the origanizer. Classic has been nominated in 18 categories and ‘Prem Geet’ is nominated in 17 different categories. In third place, ‘Pashupati Prasad’ has been nominated in 9 categories. I have also listed the movies nominated, and available to watch in full.
NEFTA Nominated Films (Watch Full movies)
The award ceremony will be held on December 23, 2016 in Dubai of UAE. The nominations are prepared by a 5-member selection committee led by Bharat Shakya among the movies released in the year 2072.
In the Nepali film award organized by Gopi Krishna Movies, the ‘Classic’ actors Namrata Shrestha and Aryan Sigdel were chosen the best actors. But, the winner of the best movie award was ‘Pashupati Prasad’. The Best director award went to Dinesh Raut, the director of ‘Classic’. The editor of ‘Classic’ Surendra Poudel also won the Best Editor award.
Watch award winning movies in full:
The full list of winners are:
- Best Movie – Pashupati Prasad
- Best Commercial movie – Dreams
In an event held in Kathmandu on September 8, 2016 actress Namrata Shrestha had been awarded the fourth award for her role in ‘Classic’.
Namrata Shrestha was awarded the best actress award in:
- National Film Award 2016 (Winners of National Film Awards)
- FAAN 2016 (Winners of FAAN Award)
- D Cine Award 2016 (Winners of D Cine Award)
- LG Films Award 2016 (This post)
The best actor award winner Dayahang Rai has also won the award two times. In other two times, Namrata’s partner in ‘Classic’ Aryan Sigdel was awarded. The best movie award was handed over to ‘Pashupati Prasad’.
Watch the award winning films:
After FAAN 2016, another new film award is going to be held this year. The award ceremony is held by a company of film director and actor Dinesh DC. The film award titled LG Film Award 2073 is scheduled to be held on Bhadra 22. The chief guest of the event will be Bollywood actor Shatrughan Sinha. Full list of the nominations for the award is attached at the end of the post.
In addition to best movies and artists, the film award will also award the promotional matters like best posters and best trailers. Another new category of award is the best on-screen couple of the year award. VFX and Colorists will also be awarded in the award ceremony.
Watch the best movie nominated movies – Watch ‘Woda Number 6’ here. In most of the categories the top nominated movies are ‘Premgeet’, ‘Classic’ and ‘Woda Number 6’.
After winning the best actor and actress award at the FAAN 2016 award, Aryan Sigdel and Namrata Shrestha has again won the best actors award at the D-Cine Award, held in Pokhara. The 8th edition of the film award, held on August 13, 2016 in Pokhara, was held in the location out of Kathmandu for the first time.
D-Cine film award awards 26 different awards to the movies made on digital technology. The best movie of the year was ‘Classic’. The lead actors of the best movie were the best actor and the best actress. The best director award went to the director of ‘Pashupati Prasad’, Dipendra K Khanal.
Watch the award winning movies:
The film award being distributed by Gopi Krishna Movies, NFDC National Film Award 2016 nomination was released in a program held in Kathmandu. The Award ceremony will be held in Ashoj. It’s interesting two movies released on the same day – ‘Premgeet’ and ‘Classic’ were nominated in the most number of awards – 11 categories each. ‘Pashupati Prasad’ and ‘Woda Number 6’ each were nominated in 8 different categories and ‘Kabaddi Kabaddi’ was nominated in 7 categories.
Watch Award winning movies:
The Film Artists Association of Nepal (FAAN) organized the first ever film awards in Kathmandu on July 2, 2016. In the award ceremony ‘Pashupati Prasad’ was awarded the best movie of the year. The awards were awarded in 24 different categories. The prime minister, KP Oli, was the chief guest of the event.
The actor and the actress of ‘Classic’ Aryan Sigdel and Namrata Shrestha were awarded the best actor and actress of the year in the ceremony. The director and writer of the best movie ‘Pashupati Prasad’, Dipendra K Khanal and Bipin Karki were awarded the best director and the best writer respectively.
Full list of the winners of the award are:
The winners of the National Film Award 2073 (2016 AD) is announced. The winners were selected from the movies released in 2072. ‘Pashupati Prasad’ won three awards, ‘Classic’ and ‘Dreams’ won two awards.
The winners are:
- Best Film – Pashupati Prasad
- Best Writer – Khagendra Lamichhane (Pashupati Prasad)
- Best Director – Dipendra K Khanal (Pashupai Prasad)
- Best Actor – Dayahang Rai (Kabaddi Kabaddi)
- Best Actress – Namrata Shrestha (Classic)
- Best Cinematographer – Sanjay Lama and Purushottam Pradhan (Dreams)
- Best Editor – Surendra Poudel (Classic)
- Best Ethnic film – Yamfu Dewarali (Gurung language movie)
- Jury Award – Bhuwan KC (Dreams, Director)
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Basundhara Bhusal.
UPDATE: Hit New movies added in xnepali:
I wish xNepali readers a very happy new year 2073. On the new year, I am looking back on the movies released in 2072 BS. The year was a tragic because of the earthquake and huge amount of the loss of human and properties. The movie release and shooting were also affected for months because of the tragic event.
Note – This is only a list of top movies. These new movies aren’t yet available online. I will share the full movies when the producers make them available online.
10 Hit movies of 2072
- Dreams – Anmol KC starrer movie produced and directed by his father Bhuwan KC was superhit movie of 2072.
- Woda Number 6 – The movie produced by ‘Tito Satya’ comedy show team – Deepak Raj Giri, Deepa Shree Niraula and Nirmal Sharma was superhit this year. It followed the last years hit release ‘Chha Ekan Chha’
- Kabaddi Kabaddi – The sequel of superhit movie ‘Kabaddi’ was similar to the original and it also received the similar success.
- Pardeshi – The movie made on foreign employment featuring Prashant Tamang and Rajani KC received a very good response from the viewers.
- Pashupati Prasad – The movie featuring Khagendra Lamichane and directed by Dipendra K Khanal was liked by the viewers. The movie is unique in the fact that it doesn’t have songs and fights.
- Prem Geet – Love story movie by director Sudarshan Thapa was also liked by viewers. The movie features Pradeep Khadka and Pooja Sharma in leading role.
- Classic – Another love story movie by director Dinesh Raut featured Aryan Sigdel and Namrata Shrestha in leadign roles.
- Resham Filili – The movie was released twice and was successful because of the popularity of the song Jalama.
- Nai Nabhannu La 4 – The fourth sequel of ‘Nai Nabhannu La’ franchise was as successful as it’s previous sequels. That is based on the response of the viewers in the last few day. The movie was released on last Friday.
- Bhairav – The comeback movie of Nikhil Upreti was also his directorial debut. The movie was a huge commercial success.
A clash between Namrata Shrestha, Sushma Karki and Pooja Sharma
On February 12, 2016 three awaited movies are being released in theater. Targeted for the Valentine Day, all three of them are love story movies. The movies ‘Classic’ features Namrata Shrestha with Aryan Sigdel, ‘Premgeet’ features Pooja Sharma and Pradeep Khadka and ‘Chalechha Batash Sustari’ features hot actress Sushma Karki in not-so-hot role. The clash between these three popular actresses is interesting in the Nepali film industry.
The movie featuring beautiful and talented actress Namrata Shrestha with the one of the top actors in the film industry, Aryan Sigdel is one of the most awaited movies in the Nepal. The movie presents a new type of story with both the leading characters being blind.