I have compiled a list of new Nepali movies you shouldn’t miss. The quality of Nepali movies have improved in the modern days. Experimental movies have been very successful these days. All the movies listed here are the movies made after 2010.
Update – Paradeshi
A 2015 release, superhit movie of Prashant Tamang. The movie ‘Paradeshi’ was directed by Narayan Rayamajhi, the director of another hit movie ‘Gorkha Paltan’.
1. Classic (2016)
The 2016 release movie by Aryan Sigdel, ‘Classic’ is one of the top movies of the year 2016. The movie about a blind couple features Aryan Sigdel and Namrata Shrestha in leading role. Namrata Shresthat had had won all the Best Actress awards of the year for her role in the movie. Aryan Sigdel had also won Best Actor awards for his role in the movie. The movie was also awarded the Best Movie of the year award in various film awards. This is a must watch movie.
Watch ‘Classic’ – (Skip the initial 4 minutes to watch the movie.)
The 9th edition of NEFTA Awards was held at Dubai, UAE on December 23, 2016. A lot of Nepali artists attended the grand ceremony featuring performances of a lot of artists including Rajesh Hamal and Karishma Manandhar.
The dancers in the program were Karishma Mamandhar, Pooja Sharma, Chhulthim Gurung, Malina Joshi, Rista Basnet, Samragyee RL Shah, Namrata Sapkota, Jebina Karki. The male dancers were Rajesh Hamal, Anupbikram Shahi, Paul Shah, Najir Hussain, Salon Basnet, and Roshit Rumba.
The award winner movies are:
- Watch ‘Pashupati Prasad’ here – Best Movie, Best Dilogue (Khagendra Lamichhane), Best Supporting Actor (Prakash Ghimire), Best Actor in Negative Role (Bipin Karki)
- Watch ‘Dreams’ here – Popular Film, Best Newcomer Actress (Samragyee RL Shah) , Popular Actor (Anmol KC)
- Watch ‘Woda Number 6’ here – Best Director (Ujjwal Ghimire), Best Arranger (Rajan Ishan), Best Art Director (Pasang T Sherpa)
- Watch ‘Kabaddi Kabaddi’ here- Best Actor (Dayahang Rai), Best Story (Rambabu Gurung / Upendra Subba)
- Watch ‘Nai Nabhannu La 4’ here – Best Cinematographer (Purushottam Pradhan), Best Lyrics (Dr. Krishna Hari Baral), Best Newcomer Actor (Paul Shah)
- Watch ‘Fanko’ here – Best Script (Subarna Thapa), Best Editing (Bipin Malla), Best Background Music (Sujil Karmacharya)
- Watch ‘Prem Geet’ – Popular Actress (Pooja Sharma), Best Music (Arjun Pokharel), Best Choreographer (Renasha Bantawa Rai), Best Singer Male (Sugam Pokharel), Best Singer Female (Anju Panta), Best Dress design (Yubi Thapa and Yogita Pun)
- Watch ‘Dhauli’ here – Sound Mixing (Uttam Neupane)
- Watch ‘Bhairav’ here – Best Action (Himal KC)
- Classic (not available now) – Best Actress (Namrata Shrestha)
- Janmabhumi – Best Supporting Actress (Nishma Ghimire)
- Adhakatti – Best Comedy Actor (Wilson Bikram Rai)
- Timi Nabhaya – Best Ethnic Film
- Ko Afno – Best Make up (Dipu Poudel)
In the film awards held in this year either Dayahang Rai had won the best actor award or Aryan Sigdel. For the first time, Kamana Film Award 2016 has awarded Saugat Malla the award for his role in ‘Fanko’.
The award ceremony held at the Army Officers’ Club in Kathmandu on December 3, 2016 awarded different awards to ten movies. Out of them, seven movies are available to watch in full in xnepali. Click on the following links to watch the movies:
Watch award winning movies:
- Watch ‘Fanko’ (Best Actor Award)
- Watch ‘Kabaddi Kabaddi’ (Best Dialogue)
- Watch ‘Pashupati Prasad’ (Best film award, Best Screenplay, Best Director, Best Actor in Negative Role)
- Watch ‘Prem Geet’ (Best Make Up, Best Playback Singer – Anju Pant, Best Playback singer – Sugam Pokharel, Best Lyrics, Best Music, Best Supporting Actor)
- Watch ‘Nai Nabhannu La 4’ (Best new Actor – Paul Shah)
- Watch ‘Dreams’ (Best Cinematography, Best New Actress – Samragyee, Best New Director – Bhuwan)
- Watch ‘Bhairav’ (Best Action)
Three award winning movies not available in xnepali yet are:
Nepali Movie – Fanko
Starring – Dayahang Rai, Saugat Malla, Priyanka Karki, Keki Adhikari, Anup Baral etc.
Director – Subarna Thapa
Nepali movie ‘Fanko’ is a presentation of HMMT by Padam Gurung. The multi-starrer movie produced by Narandra Maharjan and Shahadev Gautam features some of the most talented artists in the Nepali film industry. The music in the movie is composed by Chetan Sapkota. ‘Fanko’ was released on January 15, 2016. Priyanka Karki’s transparent dress made news at the time of the premier of the movie.
Watch ‘Fanko’ full Nepali movie:
This week on January 15, 2016 two new Nepali movies are releasing in theater. Both the movies – director Sabitri Khatri’s ‘Kafal Pakyo’ and Suwarna Thapa’s movie ‘Fanko’ were highly publicized movies. Both the movies were shown to the Nepali viewers in foreign countries before their official release. The movies are being released on Magh 1, the Makar Sakranti festival in Nepal.
The movie ‘Kafal Pakyo’ features Jiwan Luitel, Barsha Raut, Mukesh Acharya, Laya Sangarula and Uttam KC in leading roles. The movie directed by Sabitri Khatri features the music of Bikash Chaudhary, script of Pradeep Bhardwoj and is made under Red Panda banner.
The movie is made on comedy theme. The movie shows the travel from Kathmandu to Gulmi in romantic way. The Actor Jiwan is featured as a village guy and actress Barsha Raut is featured as a modern tom-boy. The relationship between the two is the whole movie.
Watch the trailer of the movie
The red carpet premier of Nepali movie ‘Fanko’ was held on Wednesday, January 13 in Kumari theater in Kathmandu. In the event, the cast and the crew members of the movie joined the guests to watch the movie.
The movie has been highly promoted and a few premiers were done in some cities in Europe earlier. The movie directed by Suwarna Thapa is produced by Narendra Maharjan, Sahadev Gautam and Padma Gurung. The movie featured Priyanka Karki, Dayahang Rai, Keki Adhikari, Saugat Malla and Anup Baral in lead roles. The movie is made on the story of characters of living in highway for money.
UPDATE (November 17) – ‘Jaun Hinda Pokhara’ release date November 20 and ‘Adha Page’ date December 25 added.
Nepali year 2072 BS started on Tuesday, Baisaksh 1 (April 14, 2015). No new Nepali movies were released on the first Friday of the new year, on April 17. On the second week, April 24 new movie ‘Resham Filili’ was released and previously released film ‘Jhola’ was also re-released. On the very next day, devastating earthquake hit Nepal and and halted all the film activities for the next few months.
The earthquake was the reason behind no new film release for three months from April to July.
Full movie release calendar of 2072:
- April 24 (Baisakh 11) – Resham Filili and Jhola (re-release) – Read release news
- April 25 – (7.8 M Earthquake halted all film activities till July)
- July 3 (Ashad 17) – One Side Love (‘One Side Love’ release news)
- July 10 (Ashad 25) – Jungbhumi (‘Jungbhumi’ release news)
- July 17 –
- July 24 –
- July 31 (Shrawan 15) – Paap (‘Paap’ release news)
- August 7 (Shrawan 22) – Sapana Timro Mero (‘Sapana Timro Mero’ release news)
- August 14 – (no new releases)
- August 21 (Bhadra 4) – Hostel Returns (movie release news)
- August 28 (Bhadra 11) – Resham Filili and Bhairav (2 movies) (release news) (release news)
- September 4 –
- September 11 (Bhadra 25) – Luv Sab, Dhoon,
Jaun Hida Pokhara (2 movies)
- September 18 (Ashoj 1) – Woda Number 6 (release news)
- September 25 (Ashoj 8) – Kaamchor, Chankhe Shankhe Pnakhe, Highway to Dhumpus, Bhale Fight (4 movies release news)
- October 2 – Woda Number Chha (out of Kathmandu – report)
- October 9 (Ashoj 22) – Natiza (‘Natiza’ release news report)
- October 16 –
- October 20 (Kartik 3) –
Adhakatti (in theaters out of Kathmandu), Sushri
- October 23 (Kartik 6) – Adhakatti,
Chankhe Shankhe Pankhe, Paradeshi and Thamel dot com (5 movies including Sushri – release news) – 4 movies releasing on Fulpati.
- October 30 –
- November 6 (Kartik 20) – Bindaas 3, Naagarik (2 movies) (Bindaas 3 release news)
- November 13 (Kartik 27) – Lootera
- November 20 (Mangsir 4) – Kabaddi Kabaddi, Jaun Hinda Pokhara
- November 27 –
- December 4 – (Mangsir 18) – Chocolate
- December 11 – (Mangsir 25) – Lati, Agni,
- December 18 –
- December 25 (Poush 10) – Dhauli, Adha Page, Tista Pariko Saino (release news)
- January 1 – (Poush 17) – Bich Bato, Sneha, Dhauli (in Kathmandu) (release news)
- January 8 – Bagmati
- January 15 (Magh 1) – Fanko, Kafal Pakyo (2 films) – release news
- January 22 – Chhal – release news
- January 29 (Magh 15)- Pashupati Prasad, Refuge (release news)
- February 5 (Magh 22) – Kaifiyat, Superhit, Bindaas 3 (release news)
- February 12 (Magh 29) – Classic, Prem Geet, Chalechha Batas Sustari (3 movies – release news)
- February 19 (Falgun 7) – Fagu, Ko Afno, Soldier (‘Ko Afno’ release news) | Release news
- February 26 –
Khurpa (Khurpa release news)
- March 4 (Falgun 21) – Fulai Fulko Mausam Timilai, Dreams (‘Fulai Fulko Mausam Timilai’ release news |‘Dreams’ release news)
- March 11 –
- March 18 –
Bhaag Saani Bhaag and Lakshya (release news)
- March 25 –
- April 1 – Makhamali
- April 8 (Chaitra 26) – Nai Nabhannu La 4, Rampyari (news about 6 movies releasing on same day.)
The actresses of the movie releasing on Friday, ‘Mero Best Friend’, Priyanka Karki and Keki Adhikari are currently shooting together in Pokhara and surrounding areas. The actresses arrived from the sets of their upcoming movie ‘Fanko’ to Kathmandu to participate in the premier show of ‘Mero Best Friends’ held at FCube.
On Thursday Keki and Priyanka were shooting in Damauli when they headed towards Kathmandu. They however don’t have much free time. To continue the shooting of ‘Fanko’ on Friday at 6 AM, the actresses took off toward Damauli right after the premier and press meet.