I have compiled a list of new Nepali movies you shouldn’t miss. The quality of Nepali movies have improved in the modern days. Experimental movies have been very successful these days. All the movies listed here are the movies made after 2010.
Update – Paradeshi
A 2015 release, superhit movie of Prashant Tamang. The movie ‘Paradeshi’ was directed by Narayan Rayamajhi, the director of another hit movie ‘Gorkha Paltan’.
1. Classic (2016)
The 2016 release movie by Aryan Sigdel, ‘Classic’ is one of the top movies of the year 2016. The movie about a blind couple features Aryan Sigdel and Namrata Shrestha in leading role. Namrata Shresthat had had won all the Best Actress awards of the year for her role in the movie. Aryan Sigdel had also won Best Actor awards for his role in the movie. The movie was also awarded the Best Movie of the year award in various film awards. This is a must watch movie.
Watch ‘Classic’ – (Skip the initial 4 minutes to watch the movie.)
I have prepared a list of Nepali movies you shouldn’t miss.
UPDATE: Some more must watch movies are released online:
- Watch ‘Classic’ – Best movie of the year, Best actor of the year Aryan Sigdel, Best actress of the year Namrata Shrestha.
- Watch ‘Chhaka Panja’ – a record breaking fun filled comedy movie by Deepak and Deepak Raj Giri.
- Watch ‘Pardeshi’ – New superhit movie of of Prashant Tamang and Rajani KC.
1. Pashupati Prasad
The 2015 release movie written by the lead actor, Khagendra Lamichhane, ‘Pashupati Prasad’ is a movie about the problem of poverty. The movie directed by Dipendra K Khanal was liked by critics and the viewers. Khagendra’s previous movie ‘Talakjung VS Tulke’ was also a very successful movie. I would recommend you to watch both of them but, let me count both of them as one.
A love-story movie, release in 2013 is set in a very beautiful location in Mustang. The movie featuring Nischal Basnet, Rishma Gurung, Dayahang Rai and Rajan Khatiwada in leading role is directed by Ram Babu Gurung. After the huge success of ‘Kabaddi’ its sequel ‘Kabaddi Kabaddi’ was also released in 2015. If you like ‘Kabaddi’ you won’t be dissapointed by its sequel ‘Kabaddi Kabaddi’ too.
One of the top actors in Nepali movie industry, Dayahang Rai is turning 36 years old on April 13, 2016. I am creating a biography video of the actor to mark his birthday. This biography post is the data the video will be based on.
Movies of Dayahang Rai
Some of his movies of Dayahang Rai available in xnepali:
Nepali Movie – Karkash (Dayahang Rai, Harshika)
Nepali Movie – Bir Bikram (Dayahang Rai, Diya Pun)
Nepali Moive – How Funny
Nepali Movie – Nagbeli
Nepali Movie – Fanko
Nepali Movie – Sanghuro
Nepali Movie – Kabaddi Kabaddi
Nepali Movie – Mukhauta
Nepali Movie – Loafer
Nepali Movie – Badhshala
Nepali Movie – Kabaddi
Nepali movie – Loot
Nepali Movie – Jholey
Nepali Movie – Highway
Nepali Movie – Chhadke
Nepali Movie – Dasdhunga
Profile of Dayahang Rai
- Name – Dayahang Rai
- Birthday – April 13, 1980
- Birthplace – Khawa VDC Bhojpur district,Eastern Nepal
- Education – IA – Geography (Bhojpur Multiple College), SLC (Annapurna Secondary School, Dilpa, 1998), School (Pashupati Lower Secondary School, Khawa)
- Spouse – Benuka Rai (married in 2006)
- Children – Samduhang Rai (son)
Nepali Movie – Kabaddi Kabaddi
Starring – Dayahang Rai, Saugat Malla, Rishma Gurung, Bijaya Baral, Buddhi Tamang etc.
Director – Ram Babu Gurung
A presentation of Black Horse Pictures and a production of Cinema Arts, Nepali movie ‘Kabaddi Kabaddi’ is the sequel of hit movie ‘Kabaddi’. Like the previous part, this part is also set in Naurikot Village in Mustang – about 400km away from Kathmandu. The story of this movie is set in the time one year after the events in the first sequel. The executive producer of the movie is Nischal Basnet. Nishchal Basnet has also given voice to one of the songs in the movie. ‘Kabaddi Kabaddi’ was released on November 27 2015. Nischal Basnet and Priyanka Karki are featured in cameo roles in the movie.
The winners of the Digital Cine Award 2072, organized by Chhaya Chhabi Creation was announced in a special program held in Kathmandu on December 21, 2015. In the award ceremony, the movie ‘November Rain’ bagged the most award – a total of eight awards including the best actors, best actress, best director awards.
While ‘November Rain’ became the best movie, ‘Bhimdatta’ was awarded the Critics Award and ‘Sunpani’ became the Special Film. Late actor Shree Krishna Shrestha‘s movie ‘Kohinoor’ was awarded the public choice award. Producer and film distributor Gopal Kayastha and actress Gauri Malla were awarded with Chhaya Chhabi Film Artist honor award. Film journalist Dabbu Chhetri was awarded the Chhaya Chhabi Film Journalism Award of value Rs. 7,777.
Watch Award winning movies
This is a partial list of the winners. Only the full movies available in xnepali are linked to the page to watch them:
A friend in Twitter, Rakesh, has categorized the Nepali movies in four different types. Although the categorization is done very loosely and the boundary of this categorization is extremely blurry, such a categorization can give a rough guide on what a particular movie is like. I think, there is room for improvement in this categorization so that one can easily decide on whether to watch the movie or not. There is a possibility that some movies might fall in more than one category. Let’s review each category in detail with examples.
- Masala Nepali movies
- New Age Nepali movies
- Nepali movies for youth
- B and C Grade Nepali movies
- Historical and Art Nepali movies
Masala Nepali movies
Masala Nepali movies contain all the different entertaining aspects of movies. They are the mix of comedy, family drama, action, music and love all stuffed in a movie to appeal all types of viewers. They might contain all these ingredients (masala) or some of them. These types of movies are less risky and hence, the established film producers prefer to go with these type of movies.
This week two new movies Ram Babu Gurung’s ‘Kabaddi Kabaddi’ and Shovit Basnet‘s ‘Jaun Hinda Pokhara’ have released in theater. The targeted audience of these two movies are not the same but, one would certainly affect the business of the other.
The sequel of the hit movie ‘Kabaddi’ by the same team is a highly awaited movie. Set in typical village environment and featuring well known actors like Dayahang Rai and Nischal Basnet in leading role are some of the strongest aspects of the movie. The directional talent of Ram Babu Gurung was seen in ‘Kabaddi’. The movie had won many awards and positive reviews from the viewers and reviewers. Actress Rishma Gurung is also establishing herself as a credible actress in Nepali film industry.
The nominations for the upcoming movie award, D Cine Award has been released. The 7th edition of the cinema award is one of the many Nepali film awards being held by various organizations. The Award has teamed up with CG (Chaudhary Group, the business organization of Binod Chaudhary) this year to rename it LG D Cine Award 2072. The award ceremony is scheduled to be held in Mangsir month.
The nomination list is prepared from the movies released in the year 2071 BS. There will be 38 different categories of the award in the award ceremony. The award organizer has told that most of the 82 movies released in the year have participated in the award.
The jury members of the Award ceremony are writer and director Mohan Niraula, journalist and director Bijayaratna Tuladhar, musician Santosh Shrestha, and the first female cinematographer of Nepal Sabanam Mukhiya. Three movies out of the 5 nominations for best movies are available to watch in xnepali.
Watch the nominated movies:
- Watch ‘Kabaddi’ – nominated for Best Movie Award, Best Director, Best Actor (male), Best Editing and others.
- Watch ‘Talakjung VS Tulke’ – nominated for Best Movie Award, Best Director award, Action and others.
- Watch ‘November Rain’ – nominated for Best Movie Award, Best Director, Best Actor (male), Best Actor (Female), Best Cinematography, Best Editing, Best Script, Best Supporting Actress (Female) and a lot of others.
- Watch ‘Birkhelai Chinchhas’ – Nominated for Best Script, Best New Director, Background Music,
- Watch ‘Jerryy’ – Nominated for Best Cinematography, Best New Actor (Female)
- Watch ‘Lazza’ – Nominated for Best New Actor (Female), Best Singer, Lyricist, Musician etc.
The nominations are as follows:
The third edition of INAS Film Award was held in Pragya Bhawan, Kamaladi in Kathmandu. The award ceremony held on Sunday awarded director Tulsi Ghimire with the Lifetime Achievement Award. The award has has a cash prize of Rs. 100,000. The award ceremony was organized by the Non-Resident Nepali Association (NRN) and the Film Development Board (FDB). In the program, NRN Upendra Mahato appreciated in the improvement in the quality of Nepali movies. Actor and musician Muralidhar expressed his happiness to be honored in a Nepali film award ceremony.
Watch the INAS Award winning movies here in xnepali:
BesLike previous years the Nepali film awards by the association of Nepali film technicians, NEFTA, was held in foreign soil. This year’s award ceremony was held in Qatar. In the ceremony held among 8,000 audience award on various categories were handed over to the winners. Winning 5 different awards, ‘Talakjung Vs. Tulke’ became the best movie this year.
Watch award winning movies:
- Watch ‘Kabaddi’ – ‘Kabaddi’ won award for being best movie by the jury and director Rambabu Gurung
- Watch ‘Jerry’ – The movie won 4 awards for cinematography, mixing, arrangement and actress, Anna Sharma.
- Watch ‘November Rain’ – The movie won two awards for Chhulthim Gurung and playback singing.
The full list of the winners are as follows:
Aryan and Priyanka become the best actors
The 3rd edition of NFDC Film Award ceremony was held in Kathmandu on September 12 at Hotel Hayat in Boudha. TIn the ceremony ‘Kabaddi’ was awarded the best movie of the year 2071. Actor Aryan Sigdel was awarded the best actor for his role in ‘November Rain’ and actress Priyanka Karki was awarded the Best actress for her role in ‘Suntali’.
[Watch ‘Kabaddi’ here and watch ‘November Rain’ here. ]
The best director award was handed over to the director of ‘Kabaddi’, Ram Babu Gurung. The full list of winners is as follows:
- Best Movie – Kabaddi
- Best Director – Ram Babu Gurung (Kabaddi)
- Best Actor in lead role – Aryan Sigdel (November Rain)
- Best Actress in lead role – Priyanka Karki (Suntali)
- Best Supporting Actor – Anup Bikram Shahi (Hasiya)
- Best New Actor (Male) – Sanjog Koirala (Utsav)
- Best New Actor (Female) – Ashma DC (Aavash)
- Best Script – Chetan Gurung (November Rain)
- Best Cinematography – Shailendra Dhoj Karki (Jerryy)
- Best Editing – Surendra Poudel (Aavash)
- Best Action – Tarakumar Upreti (Hasiya)
- Best Music – Taraprakash Limbu (November Rain)
- Best Choreography – Kabiraj Gahatraj (Hawaldar Suntali)
- Best Backgroun Music – Ramji Lamichhana (Tathastu)
- Best Sound – Uttam Neupane (Mukhauta)
- Kusume Ruma Commercial Success – Kohinoor
- MaHa Jury Award – Sudeep Singh Bhusal (Mala)
- Puskar Film Journalism Award – Bijaya Ratna Tuladhar
The Films Critics Society of Nepal (FICSON) has announced the winners of the second Critics Award. The movies released in 2071 BS were considered in the selection of the winners. Winners were selected in eight different categories. Best Background Music award is an addition to the categories awarded last year.
The winner of Critics Awards 2015 are:
- Best Film – Kabaddi (watch ‘Kabaddi’ here)
- Best director – Nischal Basnet for ‘Talakjung Vs Tulke’
- Best Actor – Dayahang Rai for his role in ‘Kabaddi’
- Best Actress – Priyanka Karki for her role in ‘Suntali’
- Best Script – Rambabu Gurung and Upendra Subba for ‘Kabaddi’
- Best Cinematographer – Andra Belisiya for ‘Suntali’
- Best Editor – Banish Shah and Milan Shrestha for ‘Tandav’
- Best Background Music – Jeshan Kunwar for ‘Talakjung Vs Tulke’
The president Ram Baran Yadav awarded the National Films Award 2015 in an even held at the President’s place, Shital Niwas, on July 28. In the ceremony ‘Kabaddi’ was awarded the Best Movie Award (watch ‘Kabaddi’ here). Actor Dayahang Rai was awarded the Best Actor (male) award for his role in the movie ‘Sambodhan’. Actress Richa Sharma and Sangam Bista were awarded the Best Actress Award for their role in ‘Talakjung VS Tulke’ and ‘Love You Baba’ respectively.
Nischal Basnet was awarded the best director’s award for his work in ‘Talakjung VS Tulke’. The Best Cinematographer award was awarded to Shailendra Dhoj Karki for his work in ‘Zhigrana’ and Nimesh Shrestha was awarded the Best Editor award for the same movie. The movie ‘Matan’ was awarded the best movie in ethnic films category. ‘Kabaddi’ writers Rambabu Gurung and Upendra Subba were also awarded in the ceremony.
The nomination for the third edition of NFDC Award has been released. In the nomination top five in each of 14 categories are released. The awards will be handed over in 20 categories. The nomination is prepared by a jury of four members from the movies released in the past one year.
The movies considered for the nomination include the movies censor cleared by the Censor Board from the first to the last day of 2071, and released in at least five different theaters.
In the nomination movie ‘November Rain’ has received the most, 8 nominations including the Best Director and Best Movie. The nominations for the best movie are ‘Jerryy’ (watch ‘Jerry’ here), Kabaddi (watch ‘Kabaddi’ here), Nai Nabhannu La 3, ‘November Rain’ (watch ‘November Rain’ here) and ‘Talakjung Vs Tulke’. The directors of these movies were also nominated for the Best Director award.
Box Office Film Club has honored 10 movies in an event held in Nagarkot at the end of the year 2071. Like previous years, the Club has selected the most successful movies in the year. Out of the movies released on the last Friday of 2070 to the last end of 2071 top ten movies were awarded with different honors.
The movie ‘Kohinoor’ was awarded the Super Duper Bumper Block Buster movie of the year 2071. The movie ‘Nai Nabhannu La 2’ (watch ‘Nai Nabhannu La 2’ here) was awarded Super Duper Hit honor. ‘Kabaddi’ (watch ‘Kabaddi’ here) and ‘Jerryy’ (watch ‘Jerryy’ here) were awarded Hit movie honors.