For the first time in the history of Nepali film industry, a film that won the Best Movie Award, has returned back the award to the organizer. In the NEFTA 2016 award held in Dubai, UAE, ‘Pashupati Prasad’ was awarded the Best Film Award. But, when the Best Director award was handed over to another movie, the director Dipendra K Khanal refused to go to the stage to receive the award.
Which is the Best Film of 2016?
According to a report, Dipendra K Khanal took the award to the NEFTA office on December 27, 2016 and returned it. That was probably the first time any award was returned back to the organizer. Now, the confusion on which is the Best Film in the NEFTA 2016.
‘Dreams’ debut actress, Samragyee RL Shah, flaunted a revealing and transparent dress at the NEFTA 2016 award ceremony. In the event Samragyee was also awarded the Best Newcomer Actress for her role in ‘Drema’. It was not only NEFTA, Samragyee was the sole winner of that award in most of the award ceremony held earlier in the year.
Watch a video report:
Watch ‘Dreams’ here.
The 9th edition of NEFTA Awards was held at Dubai, UAE on December 23, 2016. A lot of Nepali artists attended the grand ceremony featuring performances of a lot of artists including Rajesh Hamal and Karishma Manandhar.
The dancers in the program were Karishma Mamandhar, Pooja Sharma, Chhulthim Gurung, Malina Joshi, Rista Basnet, Samragyee RL Shah, Namrata Sapkota, Jebina Karki. The male dancers were Rajesh Hamal, Anupbikram Shahi, Paul Shah, Najir Hussain, Salon Basnet, and Roshit Rumba.
The award winner movies are:
- Watch ‘Pashupati Prasad’ here – Best Movie, Best Dilogue (Khagendra Lamichhane), Best Supporting Actor (Prakash Ghimire), Best Actor in Negative Role (Bipin Karki)
- Watch ‘Dreams’ here – Popular Film, Best Newcomer Actress (Samragyee RL Shah) , Popular Actor (Anmol KC)
- Watch ‘Woda Number 6’ here – Best Director (Ujjwal Ghimire), Best Arranger (Rajan Ishan), Best Art Director (Pasang T Sherpa)
- Watch ‘Kabaddi Kabaddi’ here- Best Actor (Dayahang Rai), Best Story (Rambabu Gurung / Upendra Subba)
- Watch ‘Nai Nabhannu La 4’ here – Best Cinematographer (Purushottam Pradhan), Best Lyrics (Dr. Krishna Hari Baral), Best Newcomer Actor (Paul Shah)
- Watch ‘Fanko’ here – Best Script (Subarna Thapa), Best Editing (Bipin Malla), Best Background Music (Sujil Karmacharya)
- Watch ‘Prem Geet’ – Popular Actress (Pooja Sharma), Best Music (Arjun Pokharel), Best Choreographer (Renasha Bantawa Rai), Best Singer Male (Sugam Pokharel), Best Singer Female (Anju Panta), Best Dress design (Yubi Thapa and Yogita Pun)
- Watch ‘Dhauli’ here – Sound Mixing (Uttam Neupane)
- Watch ‘Bhairav’ here – Best Action (Himal KC)
- Classic (not available now) – Best Actress (Namrata Shrestha)
- Janmabhumi – Best Supporting Actress (Nishma Ghimire)
- Adhakatti – Best Comedy Actor (Wilson Bikram Rai)
- Timi Nabhaya – Best Ethnic Film
- Ko Afno – Best Make up (Dipu Poudel)
The top 5 nominations for the 9th edition of NEFTA Awards has been released. In NEFTA Award 2016 the movies ‘Classic’ and ‘Prem Geet’ have received the most number of nominations in the 31 categories announced by the origanizer. Classic has been nominated in 18 categories and ‘Prem Geet’ is nominated in 17 different categories. In third place, ‘Pashupati Prasad’ has been nominated in 9 categories. I have also listed the movies nominated, and available to watch in full.
NEFTA Nominated Films (Watch Full movies)
The award ceremony will be held on December 23, 2016 in Dubai of UAE. The nominations are prepared by a 5-member selection committee led by Bharat Shakya among the movies released in the year 2072.
BesLike previous years the Nepali film awards by the association of Nepali film technicians, NEFTA, was held in foreign soil. This year’s award ceremony was held in Qatar. In the ceremony held among 8,000 audience award on various categories were handed over to the winners. Winning 5 different awards, ‘Talakjung Vs. Tulke’ became the best movie this year.
Watch award winning movies:
- Watch ‘Kabaddi’ – ‘Kabaddi’ won award for being best movie by the jury and director Rambabu Gurung
- Watch ‘Jerry’ – The movie won 4 awards for cinematography, mixing, arrangement and actress, Anna Sharma.
- Watch ‘November Rain’ – The movie won two awards for Chhulthim Gurung and playback singing.
The full list of the winners are as follows:
The nomination of the top 5 in the NEFTA Awards was announced in a press meet held in Kathmandu. The nominations selected by a 6-members jury has released the nominations of 35 different categories.
Like the previous a couple of editions of the award ceremonies, 2015 edition will also be held in a foreign country. The ceremony is going to be held in association with the International Artist Forum, Qatar. Previously the award ceremonies were held in Malaysia and Hong Kong.
A program was held by NEFTA last week (June 20) to announce the 8th edition of the Nepali movie award program. The announcement was made among various film artists and technicians by cutting a cake and clapping a clap board.
NEFTA also welcomed the new chief of Film Development Board (FDB), Raj Kumar Rai. Raj Kumar suggested the organizers to have young film makers in the jury.
According to Manoj KC, the movies released from Baisakh 1, 2017 to Chaitra 30, 2071 will be included in the award. Dates and other details of the program is yet to be revealed although the program is scheduled at the festive season Dashain – Tihar.
Three movies ‘Dhanda’, ‘Mokshya’ and ‘Chha Ekan Chha’ were awarded three different awards for Best Movie, Jury Award and Popular Film awards respectively. In addition to the best award, the movie ‘Dhanda’ was also awarded 4 more awards in different categories including best director and best actor award.
‘Dhanda’ writer Arpan Thapa was also awarded the Best Writer Award. Subarna Thapa won the Best Screenplay award for the script of ‘Soongava’. Deepak Raj Giri of ‘Chha Ekan Chha’ was awarded the Best Dialogue Award.
Award winning movies and their award titles are:
- Dhanda – Best Writer Award, Best Makeup, Best Actor Award, Best Film Award, Best Director Award
- Soongava – Best Script Award
- Chha Ekan Chha – Best Dialogue, Best Background Music, Best Co-Artist (Male), Popular Film
- Biteka Pal – Best dress, Best Actress Award
- Moun – Best Art Direction, Best New Director
- Visa Girl – Best Choreogrphy
- War – Best Action Direction
- Producer – Best Sound Mixing
- Badhshala – Best Cinematography,
- Nai Nabhannu La 2 – Best Lyrics, Best Child Artist, Best Co-Artist (Female)
- Rhythm – Best Music, Best Playback Singing (Male)
- Mokshya – Best Music Arranger, Jury Award
- Kohi Ta Chha – Best Actor in Negative Role
- Sanghuro – Best actor in Character Role, Best actress in Character Role
- Manjari – Best New Actor (Male)
- Madhumash – Best New Actor (Female)
To participate in the film Award – NEFTA Awards 2014, artists, journalists and producers have arrived in Hong Kong to participate in the event on October 20, 2014. The Communication Minister, Minendra Rijal will be the chief guest of the award ceremony. Other artists who have arrived in Hong Kong include Rajesh Hamal, Nir Shah, Karishma Manandhar and others.
NEFTA organized a press meet in Hong Kong to announce the preparation and details of the program. In the inauguration ceremony actor Rajesh Hamal and musician Sambhujit Baskota will be in stage together.
Like earlier years, the Nepal Film Technician Association (NEFTA) is going to organized this year’s award in in a foreign country – Hong Kong. In a program held in Yak and Yeti Hotel, Kathmandu the top 5 nominations for the contest were announced. The nomination list was prepared by the jury after watching 60 Nepali movies.
Out of 34 different award categories there are 3 each for actor and actresses. Best and Popular categories have virtually the same artists in the nominations. The organizers had also cut a cake for the success of the award ceremony. The top 5 nomination will be squeezed to top 3 nominations in a program to be held in Pokhara in a later date.
In the film award ceremony held in Malaysia, actor Aryan Sigdel won the best actor award from the movie ‘Mero Love Story’. In actress category, the best actress award was awarded to Richa Sharma from the same movie. The best movie award and the best director award was awarded to ‘Kathmandu’ and it’s director Aakash Adhikari respectively.
Actor Nir Shah was honored by ‘Abhinaya Shiromani’ award in the event.
Nepali film related personalities have arrived to participate in one of the biggest Nepali film event in it’s 50-years-old history. The artists participating in the event are near 100 in number including most of the well known actors and technicians. NEFTA film award is going to be held on January 31, 2014.
Photo credit – Karishma Manandhar
The participants of NEFTA film award have already reached Malaysia. Some of the well known actors in the ceremony include Karishma Manandhar, Jharana Thapa, Namrata Shreshta, Saujanya Subba, Neeta Dhungana, Benisha Hamal, Richa Sharma, Harshika Shrestha, Pooja Sharma, Aryan Sigdel, Saugat Malla, Samyam Puri, Gajit Bista, Sraj Garach, Nir Shah, Ujjwal Ghimire, Dinesh DC, Aakash Adhikari, Suraj Subba, Suresh Adhikari, Rajesh Payal Rai, Nischal Basnet, Sudarsan Thapa, Dinesh Raut, and Gobind Rai. Similarly actors Rajesh Hamal, Keki Adhikari, Sunil Thapa, Niruta Singh and others had also arrived in Malaysia.
It seems, actress Rekha Thapa has promised not to go to Malaysia again. It has been the second time Rekha has refused to go there on the last minute. Last year, Rekha had agreed to participate in Remix Dhamaka 5 and canceled her trip on the last minute. This time, she did the same by refusing to go to the NEFTA film award to be held there.
According to the sources close to Rekha, she had refused to go when the organizers weren’t willing to award her the Best Actress award. Rekha was trying to convince the organizers that she was the best actress in the film industry, until the last minute.
Actress Nandita KC visited ‘Baby Life Home’ in Kirtipur to handover Rs. 81,111 to the organization taking care of HIV positive kids. The residence established four years ago is home to HIV positive 16 orphan kids.
Nandita had raised the money during the cultural program in Hong Kong. The money was raised with the help of Miss Hong Kong Nepal VC Lileshowri Khadka, Miss Hong Kong Nepal 2012 Parina Subba, Sunita Gurung, Netra Pahari and Ganesh Basnet.
The 2014 edition of a film award being organized by Nepal Film Technician Association, NEFTA, is going to be held in Malaysia on January 31. This is the first time the ceremony is changing venue, that too in a foreign country, as all the past five editions of the award were held in Soltae Hotel.
Some of the artists participating in the cultural shows in the ceremony are being trained by Gobind Rai. Some of the artists being trained include Nandita KC, Harshika Shrestha, Keki Adhikari, Benisha Hamal, Nilima Sharma and others. Film journalists Suman Gaire and Bijaya Awaj are also planning to dance with Benisha Hamal in the ceremony. The reharshal is expected to wrap up on January 23.