Whitney Elizabeth Houston was born on August 9, 1963 and she died suddenly on February 11, 2012. The American singer, actress, producer, and model was also included in the 2009 edition of Guinness World Records as being the most awarded female act of all time.
Houston is one of pop music’s best-selling music artists of all-time, with an estimated 170–200 million records sold worldwide. In her lifetime, she released seven studio albums and two soundtrack albums, all of which had been diamond, multi-platinum, platinum or gold certification. Houston’s crossover appeal on the popular music charts, as well as her prominence on MTV, starting with her video for “How Will I Know”, influenced several African American women artists who follow in her footsteps.
Whitney Houston Records
- Guinness World Records of being the most awarded female act of all time.
- Houston is the only artist to chart seven consecutive No. 1 Billboard Hot 100 hits ever.
- She is the second artist behind Elton John and the only woman artist to have two number-one Billboard 200 Album awards (formerly “Top Pop Albums”) on the Billboard magazine year-end charts.
- Houston’s debut album, Whitney Houston (1985), became the best-selling debut album by a woman in history.
- Rolling Stone named ‘Whitney Houston’ album the best album of 1986, and ranked it at number 254 on the magazine’s list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.
- Her second studio album, Whitney (1987), became the first album by a woman to debut at number one on the Billboard 200 albums chart.
- With Bodyguard’s original soundtrack, Houston became the first act (solo or group, male or female) to sell more than a million copies of an album within a single week period under Nielsen SoundScan system.
- The Preacher’s Wife soundtrack became the best-selling gospel album in history.
Houston debuted acting in the feature film The Bodyguard (1992).
Bodyguard’s original soundtrack won the 1994 Grammy Award for the Album of the Year. Its lead single, “I Will Always Love You”, won the Grammy Award for Record of the Year and became the best-selling single by a woman in music history. The album makes her the top female act in the top 10 list of the best-selling albums of all time, at number four.
Houston acted and contributed to their soundtracks, including the films:
- Bodyguard (1992)
- Waiting to Exhale (1995)
- The Preacher’s Wife (1996)
Houston was found dead in her guest room at at the Beverly Hilton, in Beverly Hills, California house on February 11, 2012. The official coroner’s report showed that she had accidentally drowned in the bathtub, with heart disease and cocaine use.
American recording artist, actress, and former fashion model, Whitney Houstonâ€™s comeback effort was nearly derailed by a wardrobe malfunction on a live-televised show, The X Factor, on Sunday. It wasnâ€™t that much a disaster. The bra-style bodice unlatched in the back midway through her song and flapped open for the remainder of her performance.
Some saw the awesome voice coming back and others choose to differ. The dress that was too tight on top, too loose around the middle, and too long on her legs, didnâ€™t go with the artist for sure.
Well, you can listen to her and have your say: