Nepali ultra-marathon runner, Mira Rai, has been chosen the the Adventurer of the Year 2017 by the National Geographic Channel. Rai was one of the 10 adventure sports personalities nominated for the award.
Documentary of Mira Rai:
The nine other contestant Adventurers of the Year 2017
- Runner Mira Rai
- Paraglider Antoine Girard
- Ocean Advocate Shannon Switzer Swanson
- Park Protectors Pete McBride and Kevin Fedarko
- Rock Climber Ashima Shiraishi
- Cave Diver Krzysztof Starnawski
- Celestial Circumnavigators HÅkÅ«leâ€˜a Team
- Kayaker Semit Lee
- Wilderness Defender Kristine McDivitt Tompkins
- Mountaineer Colin Haley
Who is Mira Rai?
- Mira Rai was born in a remote village of Bhojpur.
- Mira’s family was very poor and she had to work hard for living since her childhood. She used to carry heavy loads.
- Mira joined CPN Maoist’s army and worked as a combatant.
- After the peace process, Mira was considered ineligible to join Nepal army.
- Mira started sports and started karate training.
- One of the guru of Karate saw that she was good in running. He persuaded her to change from karate to marathon.
Mira has won a lot of international matches and is considered one of the top athlete in ultra marathon.