The first major scandal of Nepali movie industry was that of the affair between Rajesh Hamal and Kristi KC (now Kristi Mainali). That was even before Rajesh Hamal debuted in the Nepali movie industry. Full report of the scandal:
The events leading to the scandal:
- Rajesh Hamal’s maternal uncle was debuting in the Nepali film industry as a director. Deepak Rayamajhi had studied film direction in Russia and had returned back to Nepal to start his career as a director.
- Deepak Rayamajhi signed Rajesh Hamal and actress Karishma KC (now Karishma Manandhar) for the leading roles in ‘Bhagya Rekha’.
- The Shubhamuharta of ‘Bhagya Rekha’ was held in Hotel Bluestar. The chief guest was the Foreign Minister of that time, Shailendra Kumar Upadhayay. All the guests including the minister and Karishma had arrived in time but, the debut actor Rajesh Hamal arrived one hour late.
- At that time, Karishma demanded Rs. 10,000 more if she has to be featured opposite to a new actor.
- Rayamajhi signed in Kristi KC after Karishma was out of the team.
- After shooting for a few days, Deepak Raymajhi was rumoured to have suspected Rajesh Hamal and Kristi KC having an affair. He kicked out both Rajesh Hamal and Kristi KC from the movie.
- Rajesh Hamal was replaced by Rabindra Khadka and Kristi KC was replaced by Mausami Malla.
- The movie was successful and established Deepak Rayamajhi as a credible film director in the Nepali movie industry.
The news of the affair between Kristi and Rajesh Hamal became very popular. Later Deepak Rayamajhi realized that removing them from the ‘Bhagya Rekha’ movie was a mistake. To patch up with the artists, Deepak decided to give them a chance.
The leading actors of Deepak Rayamajhi’s next movie ‘Yug Dekha Yug Samma’ were Rajesh and Kristi. The movie was also successful – establishing Rajesh Hamal as a credible actor.