The Forest Minister, Deepak Bohara, had collected Rs. 1.5 million from 10 mountaineers in Nepal to ‘take them to the US’. The Embassy, decided otherwise and Mr. Bohara had to go to the US alone.
23 Nepali mountaineers have decided to boycott the program amidst the controversy of the top minister being too greedy in his last days at office. The fastest Everest climber of 1998 and World Record holder of the 2000 ed. of Guineess Book, Kaji Shrepa, is leading the 23 Mt. Everest summiteers to boycott the Save the Himalayas rally in New York.
Attached is the video of Kaji Sherpa, courtesy of USANepalonline.
Following news article in Nepali was published in Kantipur daily about the event.
In a latest press release, titled and signed as "NRNA USA Press release" (there is no mention of who has signed it), released on Monday, 20 September 2010 05:02, urged people to participate on the rally and disregard the boycott appeal. Summary of the press release (attached below) is:
- A meeting was held in the United Sherpa Kiyidug office in NYC.
- Most of the Everest summiteers were not even aware of boycotting the rally.
- The boycott was falsely propagated.
- Tenzi Sherpa, Pasang Rinzi Sherpa, Kipa Sherpa, Mingma Dorji Sherpa, Pasang Sherpa, and Ang C Sherpa were present in the meeting.
- They appealed Nepalese to unite for such a noble cause.
- SAVE THE HIMALAYA RALLY will be conducted as scheduled.
Has the ‘dirty politics,’ being practiced in Nepal, influenced the Nepali in the USA too?