In 2040 BS Chhabi Raj Ojha started the distribution of Hindi movie. He moved to Kathmandu for the distribution. The first Nepali movie he distributed was ‘Bhagya Rekha’ – a movie produced by Chiranjivi Basnet and directed by Deepak Rayamajhi. The movie wasn’t successful commercially. He had also gone to Madras for the post production of the movie. After the failure of ‘Bhagyarekha’, Chhabi proposed a concept to Deepak Rayamajhi and promised to finance it.
Full list of movies produced by Chhabi Raj Ojha (click on the name with links to watch the movie):
- Yug Dekhi Yug Samma
- Kasto Saino
- Yestai Rahechha Jindagi
- Ajambari Nata
- Kasle Choryo Mero Man
Producer Chhabi Raj Ojha’s film production milestones:
- First ‘Yug Dekhi Yug Samma’ marks the debut of Chhabi as a producer. The movie was also the debut movie of Rajesh Hamal and action director Rajendra Khadgi. All three new faces in the film industry – Chhabi Raj Ojha, Rajesh Hamal and Rajendra Khadgi made it big in the last 25 years of Nepali movie industry.
- Fourth movie, ‘Hero’ marks the next milestone in Chhabi’s life. He met his future wife of a decade, Rekha Thapa, in the movie. The movie made by a new company Nameste Nepal was also the result of a partnership with Shyam Khetan and Naresh Poudel. The movie also debuted another actress Poojana Pradhan. After ‘Hero’ all his movies until ‘Loafer’ featured Rekha Thapa.
- Seventh movie, ‘Ajambari Nata’ is the third milestone in Chhabi’s film making. The movie was made under Rekha Films banner – named after his wife of that time Rekha Thapa. All Chhabi’s movies, until the divorce in 2013, were made under Rekha Films banner. Rekha kept the banner to herself after the divorce of 2012.
- ‘Hamesha‘ marks the fourth milestone in producer Chhabi Raj Ojha. Although the movie had Rekha Films banner, an additional Chhabiraj Films banner was also attached to it. The movie marks the first movie Chhabi made after the 2012 divorce. Although they divorced, Rekha wasn’t willing to leave Chhabi as a business partner.
- ‘Loafer‘ can be considered the fifth milestone, in which, Chhabi broke off from Rekha Films and Rekha Thapa completely. Rekha and Chhabi produced ‘Kali‘ (under Rekha Films) and ‘Loafer’ (under Chhabiraj Films) independently. But, at the time of release, Rekha asked Chhabi to distribute the movie forcing him to delay ‘Loafer’ release. As a result, ‘Kali’ became a hit and ‘Loafer’ flopped.
For the first time after meeting Rekha in ‘Hero’ Chhabi featured Rekha in every movies he made until ‘Loafer’. In ‘Loafer’ Chhabi featured Rajani KC in leading role. Known for having the same actress in all movie, Chhabi however changed actress in his next movie ‘Lazza‘. The movie debuts another actress, Shilpa Pokharel. Every new actress Chhabi introduces, goes through extensive scrutiny of the media to look for sign of intimacy of the producer with the actress.