The prime minister of Nepal, KP Sharma Oli, rejected the proposal to construct a Film City in Dolkha. In an event held at his government residence in Baluwatar, Oli has told that the location proposed by the previous government wasn’t appropriate. He has told that the location in Dolkha is such that it doesn’t see sunshine for more that two hours – that too only for two days in a week.
The location was proposed by the Film Development Board (FDB) during the leadership of Dharmendra Kumar Marbaita. Dharmendra and the team had visited the location various times to come to the conclusion. After the current prime minster, KP Oli rejected the previous decision, there had been reports of protest in Dolkha.
Oli was talking in the promotional event of upcoming movie by Dinesh DC, ‘Fulai Fulko Mausam Timilai’ held on December 28, 2015. The first film promotional program held in the PM’s government residence in the history of Nepal was also criticized the political pundits. KP had told that Dolkha’s climate and geography don’t suit for the construction of Film City.
In the promo and song release program of FFMT, Oli told that he would prefer Tanahun, Lamjung or Gorkha district and around Marshyangdi river banks. Oli’s location include “the west – south part of Gorkha district, East part of Tanahun, on the bank of Marsyangdi river, west side of Lamjung, on the bank of Marsyangdi river, Palungtar of Gorkha, Chundi Ramgha, Bhanu VDC , Bhote Odaar”.
Oli confidently told that he has made decision to construct a Smart City in the area where, Film City will also be constructed.
Based on Oli’s state and the timing of the announcement, it seems enough homework wasn’t done before making the announcement because:
He didn’t mention expert’s decision or the analysis. There was no mention of the cost-benefit analysis of different locations.
- The announcement itself was made in a film promotion program by a private banner.
- Nobody had asked about Film City.
- KP has told his personal opinion, not based on investigations or policy decisions.
- KP has also failed to give a proper alternative to the Dolkha location. The locations KP has told are spread across three districts – Tanahun, Gorkha, and Lamjung.
- At the end of the statement, the Prime Minister had indicated that the decision is yet to be made. It was very immature nature of the prime minister to talk about things that are yet to be decided and confirmed.