It was a very surprising twist in the controversial character in Nepali entertainment industry, Pooja Lama. She has changed her religion from Buddhist to Muslim and renamed herself Amna Faruki.
Pooja told that she has found some good things in Muslim religion, so she has decided to be a Muslim for the rest of her life.
A versatile personality, Pooja Lama, started her career as a model, formed a band and released music albums, and acted in movies. She has equally been in lime lights because of her controversial actions. Some of which are:
- Marriage at 18 years with Biraj Lepchan and divorce within a year (She has a son out of the marriage).
- An affair with a Newar guy while she was in Belgium. The guy’s family stopped him to go back to Belgium when he came back to Kathmandu.
- Sucide attempt – after affair with Dinesh DC failed.
- Release of sex scandal video with DJ Shishir
- Marriage soon after the release of the scandal video
- Pooja told she will participate in Indian Idol – which she didn’t
- After problems in relationship with DJ Shishir she went to Doha some six months back
- She returned back recelntly as Amna Faruki, a Muslim lady in burka.
Pooja told that she liked Muslim religion as it was ‘strict’. She quit alcohol and smoking after changing the religion. She has also stopped taking other drugs these days. Pooja wears Muslim dress that hides her hair and sings in a restaurant in Thamel in the same.
Pooja never mentioned her previous marriage and told that she will marry a Muslim if she ever does. Pooja told that after being a Muslim she can’t have sexual relationship without marrying. Does that mean, she has to get married soon?
In a modeling contest held in 1999, Pooja was awarded ‘Best Model’. Pooja started her film career with Narayan Puri’s ‘Papi’. She also did films like ‘Chakrabyuha’ and ‘Salam’ but none were as successful as her first movie.