Wishing director and script writer Shiva Regmi a happy birthday, we present his personal profile (August 21, 2012):
Nepali director, Shiva Regmi, was Born in 2021 BS (1965 AD) in Baraghare of Chitwan, Nepal. Regmi is a well known Nepali film director, producer, and script writer. Shiva Raj Regmi is the eldest son of Late Khaga Raj Regmi and Bhakta Maya Regmi. He married Gyanu Regmi in 1985 and they have four children – Samjhana Regmi, Bhawana Regmi, Abhishesh Regmi and Pallabi Regmi. His daughter Bhawana Regmi is debuting as an actress in an upcoming movie ‘So Simple’, directed by Shiva Regmi.
Shiva Regmi has directed a number movie including the 2012 release ‘Phool’ (xnepali review of Phool).
Early theatrical journey
Regmi started his career as an theatrical actor who started directing and writing plays. At the start, he worked in Narayani Kala Mandir for a long time acting, writing scripts, and directing in his own plays.
Shiva Regmi has also won the National award for the best drama writer for his creation ‘Swades Bhitra Harayeko Nagarik’ in 1993. ‘Swades Bhitra Harayeko Nagarik’ and another play named ‘Upakaar’ brought him into popularity and they were performed widely all over Nepal. This success opened door for Regmi in the Nepali movie industry.
Shiva Regmi’s debuted in the Nepali movie industry as a script writer. His first movie as a writer, ‘Prem Puja’ didn’t helped him in establishing as a writer but, he continued writing in other movies. As a director, he debuted with the movie ‘Aafanta’. Notable movies he directed include ‘Aafno Manchhe’, ‘Yeh Mero Hajur’, ‘Sukha Dukha’, ‘Haami Teen Bhai’, ‘Kaha Bhetiyela’ and others.
Shiva Regmi continued to write the scripts for movies like Mohoni, Allare, Dahijo, Maiti, Gorkhali, Dharti and so on.
As an actor, he had also appeared as a supporting actor in the movie ‘Sindoor Poote’ the lead of which was the superstar of Nepali movies, Rajesh Hamal.
Success in Nepali movies
In 1999, Regmi wrote the script of the movie ‘Aafanta‘ and approached a number of directors but, nobody was willing to make a movie on it. Regmi was determined to make a move on it so, he chose to direct the movie himself. The movie featuring Shree Krishna Shrestha, Niruta Singh was very successful and it prompted Shiva Regmi to start his second venture ‘Aafno Manchhe’. In ‘Aafno Manche’ he repeated Shree Krishna and Niruta and added other well known actors like Dilip Rayamajhi and Bipana Thapa in the lead. The movie proved to be a the huge success, one of the biggest hit of that time. Shiva Regmi was also awarded an award for the Best Dialogue in the movie. In Shiva Regmi’s next movie ‘Ye Mero Hajur‘ he repeated Shree Krishna Shrestha who helped the movie become another box office hit.
Shiva Regmi’s 2002 movie ‘Sukha Dukha’ is made on an emotional family drama helped him received the Lux Award for the best director and motion picture award for the best story. Before the year 2004, it wasn’t that successful for Regmi as his experimental movie ‘Paahuna’ was not a big success and his another movie ‘Upahaar’ flopped. In 2004 he returned with hit movies like ‘Haami Teen Bhai’ and ‘Muglaan’. For ‘Haami Teen Bhai’ Nikhil Upreti got his first national award for the best actor category.
Shiva Regmi debuted as a producer with ‘Maanis’ and ‘Duniya’ followed. But although critically acclaimed, they failed commercially. For a 2005 movie, ‘Duniya’ Shiva Regmi received the NEFTA award for best director. Regmi’s next movies, ‘Ram Balram’ and ‘Yuddha’ were also ranked below average in the box office. Regmi’s 2008 project ‘Kaha Bhetiyela‘ proved to be one of the biggest success of his career for which he received his second national award for the best director and the NEFTA award for the best popular director of 2008.
In 2010 Shiva Regmi’s movie ‘Hasi Deu Ek Fera’ featuring popular comedy actors Madan Krishna Shrestha and Hari Bansha Acharya failed to satisfy the audience although he received his third national award for the best scriptwriter.
Another venture, ‘Saathi Ma Timro’ in 2011 was another box office success to Regmi’s credit. Shiva Regmi’s 2012 release ‘Phool’ however failed to do a good business in spite of a lot of big star casts like Raj Ballav Koirala, Niraj Baral, Garima Pant, Nir Shah and Yuvaraj Lama in leading roles. As of August 2012, Regmi’s upcoming projects inluce ‘Mann Le Mann Lai Chhunchha’, ‘Paraai’ and ‘So Simple’ featuring his daughter Bhawana .
Bhawana Regmi (right, daughter of Shiva Regmi) and Pramod Bhardwoj (left, son of script writer Pradeep Bhardwoj) with Shiva Regmi (middle) during the inauguration of movie ‘So Simple’. (Photo credits, Moviesnepal)
Shiva Regmi’s Movies :
Move (Release Date) – starring (Roles of Shiva Regmi -Awards if any)
- Afno manchhe (2001) – Bipana Thapa, Dilip Rayamajhi, Shree Krishna Shrestha, Niruta Singh (director, writer – Motion Pictures Awards for Best Script Writer)
- Ye mero hajur (2002) – Shree Krishna Shrestha, Jharana Thapa
- Sukha Dukha (2002) – Shree Krishna Shrestha, Jharana Thapa, Madan Krishna Shrestha (director, script writer – Lux Film Awards for Best Director)
- Upahaar (2003) – Niruta Singh, Uttam Pradhan, Sushil Chhetri (director)
- Paahuna (2003) – Shree Krishna Shrestha, Jharana Thapa (director, writer)
- Haami Teen Bhai (2004) – Rajesh Hamal, Shree Krishna Shrestha, Nikhil Upreti, Jharana Thapa, Rekha Thapa (Director, Writer)
- Muglaan (2004) – Jharana Thapa, Dilip Rayamajhi, Bipana Thapa
- Duniya (2005) Bhuwan KC, Tripti, Niruta Singh, Nikhil Upreti (National Film Award for Best Director)
- Maanis (2006) Bhuwan KC, Bipana Thapa, Dilip Rayamajhi (Director, Producer, Writer – NEFTA Awards for Best Director)
- Yuddha (2007 ) Nikhil Upreti, Shiva Shrestha, Sanchita Luitel (director)
- Ram Balram (2007) – Nikhil Upreti, Shree Krishna Shrestha, Jharana Thapa, Sanchita Luitel (director)
- Kaha Bhetiyela (2008) Shree Krishna Shrestha, Shewta Khadka (Director,writer – National awards for best director, NEFTA awards for best director)
- Haasi Deu Ek Phera (2009) Madan Krishna Shrestha, Haribamsha Acharya, Sweta Khadka, Raj Ballav Koirala (Writer, director – National awards for best writer)
- Sathi ma timro (2011) – Bhuwan KC , Rekha Thapa (director, writer)
- Phool (2012)- Raj Ballav Koirala, Niraj Baral, Garima Pant, Nir Shah and Yuvaraj Lama (Director)
- Mann le Mann Lai Chhunchha (2012) – Garima Panta (Director)
- Parai – Niraj Baral, Garima Panta (Director)
- So simple (2012) – Shree Krishna Shrestha, Bhawana Regmi, Shewta Khadka
(This list was updated on August 2012)