A friend in Twitter, Rakesh, has categorized the Nepali movies in four different types. Although the categorization is done very loosely and the boundary of this categorization is extremely blurry, such a categorization can give a rough guide on what a particular movie is like. I think, there is room for improvement in this categorization so that one can easily decide on whether to watch the movie or not. There is a possibility that some movies might fall in more than one category. Let’s review each category in detail with examples.
- Masala Nepali movies
- New Age Nepali movies
- Nepali movies for youth
- B and C Grade Nepali movies
- Historical and Art Nepali movies
Masala Nepali movies
Masala Nepali movies contain all the different entertaining aspects of movies. They are the mix of comedy, family drama, action, music and love all stuffed in a movie to appeal all types of viewers. They might contain all these ingredients (masala) or some of them. These types of movies are less risky and hence, the established film producers prefer to go with these type of movies.
Actor and director Anup Baral is debuting in movie direction after directing more than 50 plays. Anup Baral’s first movie ‘Fitkiri’ is scheduled to start in by the end of February.
Anup Baral started acting in theater at the age of 14 and is known as the guru of well known actors like Saugat Malla, Dayahang Rai, and Diya Maskey. Other well known actors who took training from Anup Baral are Raj Ballav Koirala, Usha Rajak, and Sarita Giri.
An Apil Bista films production’s movie, based on political leaders Madan Bhandari and Jivraj Ashrit who were killed in an ‘accident’ that happened in the place called Dasdhunga.
Nepali Movie – Dasdhunga
Starring – Anup Baral, Sanchita Luitel, Dayahang Rai, BS Rana, Bishow Basnet etc.
Director – Manoj Pandit
The result of the online voting for Merocinema Popular Award 2010 is announced today. Dasdhunga has become the most popular movie of the year.
The most successful movie has become Bato Muni Ko Phool with 6 awards in different categories. Other winners are:
- Best movie – Dasdhunga
- Best director – Suroj Singh "Nalbo" (Bato Muni Ko Phool)
- Best actor – Rajesh Hamal (from Desh / Swabhimaan / Didi Bhai)
- Best actress – Rekha thapa (from Bato Muni Ko Phool/Kasle Choryo Mero Man)
- Best musician – Mahesh Khadka (Nai Nabhannu La)
- Best singer (male) – Dipak Limbu (Nai Nabhannu La)
- Best singer (female) – Prakriti Giri (Bato Muni Ko Phool)
- Best actor (supporting) – Vinaya Shrestha (First Love)
- Best actor in comic role – Nirmal Sharma (Afno Manche Afnai Huncha)
- Best actor in negative role – Saugat Malla (Dashdhunga)
- Best script writer – Suroj Subba "Nalbo" (Bato Muni Ko Phool)
- Best action director – Rajendra Khadgi (Desh/Ranasangram)
- Best choreographer – Alok Nembang (Kohi Mero)
- Best editor – Simosh Sunuwar(First Love)
- Best cinematographer – Sanjay Lama (Bato Muniko Phool)
- Best new face (male) – Yash Kumar (Bato Muni Ko Phool)
- Best new face (Female) – Richa Sharma (First Love)
There are a lot of actresses and many models are opting acting as their ultimate career goal. But, the producer of ‘Dasdhunga’, Apil Bista, couldn’t find a single Nepali actress to act in his forthcoming movie ‘Namaste America’. Apil is currently in Mumbai in search of an actress who will look like a foreigner in his movie.
Does that mean we don’t have a pool of variety of actress to choose from? It is a fact, that we depend on a lot of things to foreigners… but, I never thought we would need an Indian actress to act in a Nepali movie. With beauty contests being held every now and then, there should actually be a lot of talented and versatile actress willing to start acting as their career.