Film Development Board of Nepal has unveiled a 10-point-document outlining its rules and regulation for the development of movie making in Nepal. The rules were distributed to the journalists in a press meet organized on Monday, March 12, 2012.
Note: Following is unofficial translation of Nepali text (attached below)
- About Film Development Board being autonomous– A law will soon be passed to ensure the Board to be more powerful and functional.
- About national film festival – National film festival to be held in Surkhet of Mid-Western region within the month of Chaitra.
- About international film festival – An international film festival will be held in June 1, 2012.
- About film censorship in the hall of the Board – Movies are being censored in the Board’s new movie theatre. The hall rental for Nepali movie is fixed at Rs. 1000 and for foreign movie, it is Rs. 3000.
- About delegation of responsibility to the Board – The Ministry of Information and Communication has authorized the Board to determine movie show times in film halls. No movie hall is allowed to have a morning shows before 11:00 AM except for Saturday.
- Networking for Box Office report and organized business practice – The Board will require every Nepali and foreign films to submit their income and progress report.
- Management of production, re-production, sale and distribution of copyright of film and film related materials – Following are the regulations;
- The companies producing CD, DVD, VCD, VHS should obtain the production license for each of those films from the Film Development Board.
- Each CD, DVD, VCD, VHS should contain the hologram provided by the Film Development Board.
- If such materials are produced by the ones authorized by the Board, such companies will be punished according to Copyright Act 2059.
- The retailers and rentals of movies should get a 5-year license to sell or rent movies. They should renew the license every 5 years.
- To make movie sector more reliable – The Board is planning to require movie makers to deposit some amount of money with the Board that will be released after the movie is censored.
- Classification of cinema halls – The board has expanded the classification of cinema halls in addition to Video and Colloid. The classification is pending approval of the ministry.
- On ethics of film producers, hall owner, distributors, and artists – The board will release the ethics of all involved in film making in future.